Sunday, July 8, 2012

Observations From a Howard MBA Student's Visit to Dubai


Spring Break is a time for HUMBA students to catch up on reading, traveling, securing internships, and taking a break from the demands of deadlines and analyzing cases. I relish the opportunities to get more stamps in my  passport from countries where I can learn the culture and business. I had the opportunity to spend several days in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.  The experience was enlightening.  Dubai is an extremely large landmass; a sprawling city with about 5 million people, that is modern and very clean. The 2008 economic crisis  grossly slowed construction projects.  Although, there is a ton of unfinished construction sites throughout the city, it appears business and tourism continues on; as infrastructure is steadily growing.   

I visited the Dubai Marina District, and was awed  by the number of sky scrapers with such an incredibly  gorgeous sky line. I assumed they were all corporate based entities. But, I discovered the buildings were mix use with apartments and condos. The inventory in that city appears to be pretty high at present.  I also visited the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi.  This is an amazing architectural structure and  an important worship center in the region.  Etiquette is extremely important at the Mosque. Women must cover their hair and any exposed leg.  Once inside, it's even more breathtaking and impressive.

I really enjoyed my time in Dubai.  The food was magnificent, and the night life was festive.  Dubai appears to be very safe, with no tolerance laws. Things such as public intoxication and offensive language will quickly land one behind bars. The people were so pleasantly welcoming,  and customer service was exceptional.  Experiencing a taste of the tourist life in the Middle East and of Arabic culture has expanded my view.  I've obtained a higher level of cultural sensitivity. Though, there are several differences, the similarities between  large US cities and Dubai are the follow: 1) There is an enormous amount of diversity. 2) The people are trying to take care of their responsibilities and provide for their families. 3) Commerce is the driving factor in the economy.  4) Infrastructural development is moving forward. AND 5) Opportunity is on the horizon. 
.   
With sputtering globalization tinkering along,  I suspect the future holds enormous growth for Dubai. Hence,  I look forward to returning for another visit to the United Arab Emirates. But the next time will be for business. 

Rachel Victoria Dawson is currently an MBA candidate at the Howard University School of  Business Class of 2013, and CEO of the Point Group LLC in Washington DC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment